Very soon, I’ll be back in Maine. The thought of being home again fills me with excitement, particularly during the holiday season, when the chilly air and often snow-dusted countryside personifies the winter holiday season to me. I’m looking forward to visiting some new places and coming back to NC with fresh insights to share, but most of all, I’m looking forward to seeing the family that is so special to me.
In the meantime, here is a new ‘weekly recipe’ for you! This recipe struck me as a stick-to-your-ribs type of meal – hearty, with meat, beans, and veggies, but also pretty healthy. It’s from Maine Home Cooking, and serves 8.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves cut into small pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 yellow or red pepper, chopped
- 28 0z. can stewed tomatoes
- 15 oz. can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup medium heat salsa
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
Heat the oil and add the chicken, onion, garlic, and peppers, and cook until the chicken is done.
Add tomatoes, beans, salsa, and seasonings, and cook at a simmer all together for at least an hour. Serve with sour cream and grated jack cheese.
This recipe was easy and inexpensive, and will make multiple meals for us. That’s a winner in my book! It was also pretty tasty, but I forgot the sour cream… it would have been really great with that addition!